For this project I’m using a hall effect accelerator pedal instead of the standard “pot box”. The hall effect pedal is more robust both mechanically and electrically. However, using it means I need to replace the entire pedal assembly. Here’s the original pedal:
Removing one screw and sliding the pedal straight up released it.
The new pedal need a spacer behind it so when it was fully depressed it would clear the floor. So I made a spacer out of some 3/4″ HDPE I had laying around. I drilled and tapped a couple holes and voila! A the new accelerator pedal is mounted:
I might try and find some carpet to fill in the hole left by the old pedal.
Now that the gas tank has been emptied and had a chance to air out I decided it was time to pull it out. I thought I could make a couple slices with the Saws-All and it would pop out. Boy was I wrong! I spent a total of four hours cutting, yanking and prying before it finally came out in about five pieces.
Note to anyone else doing a Boxster conversion, let me recommend leaving the gas tank in. It’s a pain to remove and it doesn’t actually gain you much more usable space.
The only thing it really did was make it easier to bolt the accelerator to the firewall.
It’s been a few years since I’ve done much welding. So I did a test piece before starting on my actual battery boxes.
It turned pretty well (a little blobby but strong with no major pits or cracks). So I went ahead and put together the boxes that will each hold 8 cells (for a total of 16) in the engine compartment. I made the boxes quite tight:
If I slide this last cell in, I’m not sure it would come out easily. I still need to sand off the corrosion.
I just set them in place to get a general idea how they’ll fit.
There are a number of small tasks that need to be done that don’t rely on other stuff being done first. So when I only have a few minutes to work on the car, I try and tick one of those tasks off the “todo” list. Tonight’s task was to drain the fuel tank.
It was relatively easy. A little googling turned up instructions on hot wiring the fuel pump by jumpering the appropriate relay. With a little rubber tubing and my 5gal gas can, it took about 20 minutes to empty the tank and transfer the gas to my other car.
I found a company that sells new/used Porsche parts and they offered $500 for the old engine and exhaust parts. Sweet!
I might have got a few bucks more if I parted it out on Ebay, but my wife and I are glad to just have it out of the driveway. Here is the motor in the back of the truck ready to head to its new home: