The wheels on the bus go round and round…

This week, I replaced the slave cylinder, mounted the motor/trany assembly and connected the axles. Some good progress…

Here’s a picture of the motor mounting plates I had laser cut:

They are 3/8″ steel and mount to the steel face plate I already had.

 

Here’s a quick video of the wheels spinning with a 12volt battery:

I connected up the cables to the shifter and did a quick test to make sure all the gears worked.  They seem to be fine.

 

 

Looks like I need a new slave cylinder…

I found two issues (maybe related). After talking to the go-ev guys, I learned that the shaft on the Warp11 motor is designed to move ~1/8″ when a significant amount of axial load is applied.  It just so happens that my new high pressure clutch presses applies a significant amount of force.  The problem was that I mounted the shaft coupler about 1/16″ away from the motor face.  So, when I pressed the clutch, the shaft coupler would rub on the motor housing.  After I discovered this, I took everything apart and moved the shaft coupler out about 3/16″ away from the motor housing. After assembling all back together, I pressed the clutch and squishhhhh. I heard something spraying inside the bell housing. At that point I called it a night. The next day I took everything apart (AGAIN), and found the bottom of the bell housing full of hydraulic fluid. I pulled the slave cylinder and saw that the bellows were full of fluid and there was a tiny crack where it could spray out. I ordered a new slave cylinder which should arrive early next week.

Fighting with the clutch…

I wanted to test the clutch out.  So, I bolted the motor onto the transmission with the flywheel and clutch installed. I rolled the setup under the car and put it generally in position:

 

I connected up the clutch line, and proceeded to bleed the system.   I got it bled with a vacuum bleeder, but the clutch petal was acting quite odd.  It started in the up position, but with just slight pressure, it jumped all the way to the floor with significant force.  I had to use my hand to pull it off the floor.  After looking at some Porsche forums, it sounds like this is a common symptom of a bad slave cylinder.   Since the slave cylinder was fine before, and I haven’t really done anything to it, my guess is I have something assembled incorrectly.  Time to take it all apart…